The Retail Program Standards Grant Program is a partnership between the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Association of Food and Drug Officials (AFDO). The program provides funds for the completion of projects and training to enhance conformance with the Voluntary National Retail Food Regulatory Program Standards (Retail Program Standards).
About the Program
Each year, grant funding is open to state, local, territorial, and tribal regulatory retail food programs that have enrolled in the Retail Program Standards. Applicants to this program can expect a simple application process, up-front funding when required by the project, and simple reporting requirements.
Do you have more questions? Please review our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
Additional Funding Oppotunity: CY 2020 CFP Travel Assistance
In addition to the annual subawards offered for CY 2020 through the AFDO-Managed Retail Program Standards Grant Program (subawards were made in December 2019), there is a special funding opportunity that closed to new applications on February 17, 2020. This opportunity is separate from the regular CY 2020 annual funding program.
Funding decisions were made in early March, and notifications have been sent via email. Please contact us if you have questions.
Calendar Year 2020 Award Update
The portal closed to new applications on October 15, 2019, and award announcements were made on December 5, 2019. Approximately $2 million in funding was awarded for CY 2020. This will enable a significant number of awards for jurisdictions in all four project categories – Small Projects, Moderate Projects, Training, and Food Protection Task Force Support Projects.
An email was sent to the points-of-contact on the grant application stating the disposition of each request. Please contact us if you have any questions.
- Small Projects up to $3,000, for jurisdictions to complete: a self-assessment of all nine Standards, small projects related to meeting one or more Standards, a verification audit or audits, or custom projects that increase a jurisdiction’s conformance with the Standards;
- Moderate Projects, $10,000-$20,000, for more ambitious projects that further conformance with the Retail Program Standards (computer software systems, risk factor studies, development of a written compliance program, training events, etc.);
- Training up to $3,000*, for jurisdictional staff to meet the requirements of Standard 2 (Step 1 & 3 Curriculum or CEU maintenance) or to attend FDA Regional Seminars or other training in order to achieve or maintain FDA Standardization; and
- Food Protection Task Force Support Projects up to $3,000, to assist jurisdictions in meeting the requirements of Standard 5 Foodborne Illness and Food Defense Preparedness and Response and/or Standard 7 Industry and Community Relations. (For a list of eligible Task Forces that can be supported by Category 4 Subawards, please download this Excel file.)
*The $3,000 limit on Category 3 Training projects does not apply to AK, HI, and Territories if justification for additional costs is provided.
- Existing Users (who have previously applied for a grant through this program) may use their username and password to log in at the upper right corner of this page, or click here. If you cannot find your username and/or password, please click here to reset it.
- New Applicants (who have not applied for or received a grant from this program) should click here to create an account.
All applicants are encouraged to review the 2020 Retail Program Standards Grant Program Grant Guidance prior to beginning the process.
Please bookmark this page, https://afdo.org/retailstandards, as it will always contain the most up-to-date information about the grant program. If you would like to receive news and updates when new information is available, please register your email address here.
Program Overview & Grantee Testimonials
Since the inception of the AFDO-administered Retail Program Standards Grant Program in 2014, more than $8.1 million has been awarded across 1,985 grants. Our grantees have responded with overwhelming high praise of the program, writing everything from “This has been the best experience in getting much equipment and supplies we need to continue our food training;” to “simplest grant application to date.” You may view grantee-submitted videos about their projects and opinions of the program by clicking the map below.
For Current Grantees
To view the status of your current grant award(s), view and print copies of both awarded and declined applications, view and print copies of your official award letter(s), or submit required reports and reimbursement requests, please use the username and password provided during the previous grant application phase to access the grant portal. If you cannot find your username and/or password, please click here to reset it.
If you have any questions, please contact us at (850) 583-4593 or email@example.com.